Applications for the United States Equestrian Federation Youth Sportsman's Award are being accepted through September 1, 2014. The award recognizes young equestrians who exhibit exceptional leadership potential, serve as positive role models for their peers, demonstrate an ongoing commitment and dedication to the promotion of equestrian sport, are involved in their communities and exemplify positive sportsmanship principles.
The overall winner of the 2014 USEF Youth Sportsman's Award will receive a $1,000 grant payable to the educational program of his/her choice, USEF Life Membership valued at $2,500, and a commemorative trophy. The winner will also be one of the nominees for the USEF Junior Equestrian of the Year Award. The reserve winner will receive a $500 grant payable to the educational program of choice.
Applications are available online at usef.org or through any USEF Recognized National Affiliate Association or International Discipline Association. Required materials must be submitted directly to an applicant's respective USEF Recognized National Affiliate or International Discipline Association and received by the respective office, on or before September 1. Each USEF Recognized Affiliate may select a National Winner, who will be considered for the overall award.
To be considered for the 2014 USEF Youth Sportsman's Award, applicants must:
- Have a current membership in good standing with the USEF
- Have a current membership in good standing with a USEF Recognized Association or International Discipline Association
- Be 17 years of age or under, as of December 1, 2013
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment and dedication to the promotion of equestrian sport
- Serve as a positive role model for peers
- Participate at any level of competition, including local, regional, or national events
- Be involved with their communities and exhibit characteristics that exemplify positive sportsmanship principles
For more information regarding the USEF Youth Sportsman's Award, please contact Jennifer Mellenkamp, Director, National Breed/Discipline Affiliates, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (859) 225-6955.